Saturday 2 September 2017

Rear Brakes Seized

For the rest of August I spent a few evenings checking her over and compiling a list of everything I think I need to get a new MOT. I also took those hideous seats out!

I'm halfway through the close inspection and haven't found anything truly shocking (yet). When I strip her down to start work on the chassis I'm sure I'll find more than the outrigger or two and single patch weld I'm aware of..

I found out why it was so hard to push. The rear brakes were seized solid (OS also badly contaminated). I couldn't even get the drums back on without removing the shoes first. I've no reason to think the front are any better so I'll need shoes and wheel cylinders all round. Most likely drums too, which aren't expensive. One of the rear ones was very badly scored.

Removing one of the seized brake drums.


Badly scored, but cheap to replace.

Contamination to OSR. Hub seal in bits.

Nothing worth saving here..
Wheel bearings seem good, and there were a used pair in the box of bits that came with her so I expect they were changed not long before she was SORN'd.

Engine needs a service obviously, fuel and oil change, plugs, points etc. but she didn't smoke when we got her running initially so I'm hoping there's nothing seriously wrong under the bonnet.

Axles will get oil and clean breather holes and new seals all round but nothing internal - it's all about the MOT first. I did pull the rear half-shafts out for a look and they seemed ok. I didn't measure the spline wear but they looked well defined and reasonably equal.

Most of the electrics work with some bulbs gone and maybe a faulty earth here and there.

I've been finishing a garden shed to house everything that was in the garage. Now that's done I can take the top off and roll her back into her new accommodation, get her on axle stands, and hopefully start to make some progress.