Sunday 22 April 2018

Bush Removal Tool, Sump Removal

This weekend I managed to get all the front spring and chassis bushes out.

I wound the chassis bushes out with a tool based on a piece of threaded rod (from an old scissor jack), a big socket, and two pieces of metal machined to push the bush from the other side and follow it through without crumpling under pressure. This tool will stay on my shelf for many years to come.. (Thanks again to my friend, Jacob, who machined the two 'push' pieces on his lathe!)

30 second chassis bush removal..

The bush tool (with extracted bush still in place)

Spring bushes will come out by hand with a shim (old screwdriver) knocked under the grip leaf to loosen its grip on the bush. Still, you need six pairs of hands to hold everything still and level enough to hit the bush with enough force to get it moving. But it can be done. I eventually bolted a 22mm socket to each bush with an old shock absorber chassis bolt to hold it in place so I could concentrate on hitting it as hard as was needed with a club hammer.

I used the tool to wind in the new spring bushes with plenty of copper grease around them. I was able to do it neatly like this, and did not have to knock the new ones about in any way to get them aligned correctly in the leaf. I will insert the new chassis bushes in the same way.

Old front bushes

I've bought plenty of cheap graphite grease from a nearby John Deere outlet so am now ready to reassemble the front leaves and refit them. I just need a new, squared off U-bolt, for the centre side of the axle casing on the O/S. I've been sent a rounded one, which I believe is wrong.

Sump Removal

I also removed the sump this weekend, as it made it easier to wind out the N/S chassis bush with my threaded rod, and I figured I could combine the task with one of the first service points.

The old oil was thick, black and burnt. Looking up into the block everything looked wet and in good condition, to the eye at least, which is reassuring. I have 10L of new 20W-50 waiting in the garage for when the sump gasket and new oil filter arrive. When they do, and I've cleaned the sump and filled her up again, I'll reconnect the battery and turn her over until I see the oil pressure come up. This will splash the new oil up into the block and fill the new filter at the same time. She won't start yet of course, as the petrol tank is off in preparation for welding..