Wednesday 6 September 2017

Into the Garage

On Sunday 3rd September I moved Sandy into my small garage. The up-and-over door meant I had to remove the hard top first. I took the cat flap, doors, and bonnet off at the same time and put them in storage. I won't be needing them for a while and they don't need repairing.

It's a tight fit, but it's lockable, out of the elements, and has power. There's enough room at the back for some narrow racking to keep tools and parts on. I will build that out of wood and metal as and when it turns up.

I could not push her in by myself (front brakes likely seized as the back were) so had to use my Astra, bumper to bumper, to push and pull her in and out as I lined her up. This is clearly no solution for moving her about on a regular basis. I had to put wood between her front tow hook and the Astra's bumper when I was pushing, and use a tow rope to pull.

I see two main options here. One is to make up a rigid drawbar that I can use to both pull her out and push her back in. This would be quick and easy once I'd made it. Or, I can get a pair of mobile axle stands and push her from one side of the garage to the other depending what side I'm working. This would mean I can have the wheels off and out the way and also work inside during the more inclement weather that's on its way..

I'll probably persevere with the tight fit for a while. The first actual job is now looming, which will be to remove the wings and start on cleaning up and painting the chassis. I only need room to scrawp about with a power tool and paintbrush for this, and I could even replace the brakes with the little room I have now. Ultimately, I'll want to get her in and out the garage for welding, and move her around inside to do other things when the weather's bad - but I don't need to do either just yet so I'll make do for a while. With the days getting shorter I will need to upgrade the single light bulb at some point to a strip light, and acquire a hand lamp or two, but again, I'll probably wait until my hand is forced.