Wednesday 6 September 2017

Hard Top Removal

Removing the hard top was straightforward. But I did learn something. :)

I found there was almost none of the sealing rubber left between the windscreen and roof. The remains of this seal was evident though, so I know it had been there at one time. There was no seal at all, and no sign there had ever been any, between the roof and sides though..

When I popped the back of the hard top up I found it was not fixed in any way to the cab section above the cat flap. I expected this "cab roof assembly" to be one part once unbolted from the hard top sides - and to need to remove the cat flap separately.

On closer inspection I decided it looked like a LWB roof had been cut down to size and a lip hammered down over the back. I thought it looked rough and not completely sealed when I went to view it but wasn't sure what exactly was wrong and went back to checking more important things like the chassis and bulkhead. Now I know (well, I'm 80% sure), and still, it's no big deal. These old Land Rovers have all sorts of "history", it's partly why we like them so much.

Originally, Sandy might have been a truck cab or half canvas. This might explain the ancient remnants of a seal above the windscreen and complete lack of any over the sides.

Next time I get to look around a few at a show in detail I will be looking closely at cab roof and canvas assemblies. I think I know mine was not originally a hard top now, which has me wondering what I want to restore it to eventually. Land Rover can tell me what colour it was originally, maybe they can also tell me what roof it had?

Anyway, it's off now, and along with the doors and bonnet and cat flap, safely stowed elsewhere to free up room for moving around her in the garage while I work..