Thursday 21 March 2019

New Fuel Tank (and Hoses)

I've had the new fuel tank ready to fit for a while but ran into problems re-fitting the filler neck tube and new filler hose. When I first took them off I found the PO had bent the filler neck's face plate to get it in contact with the four fixings on the rear tub, leaving a big gap where water could get in over time. I bent it straight again and didn't think much of it. When I went to refit it myself with a new hose I found out why he'd done it.. I couldn't for the life of me get the filler neck tube to mate flush with the tub and get the new hose down to the tank at the same time. And if I put the hose on first, I couldn't get the filler neck tube on..

To cut a long story short, the first new hose was incredibly stiff and hard to work with, and not the right shape at all. After a few attempts, dropping and raising the fuel tank each time, I started doubting I had the right filler neck tube(!) Luckily someone measured their known to fit tube off their Series 2 and it was the same as mine so I started to think about the hose more. I still didn't know I had an unsuitable part but as I'd by now cut it too short I decided to start again and order another one.

The second hose I bought was specifically described as being for a Series 2A, rather than a generic 'FILLER HOSE 88"'. When it arrived I could tell it was a better shape (it has to bend down first at the point where it goes from wide to narrow, and then to the right and down at the right angle to mate the tank), and it was also cleaner inside and much easier to bend by hand as well.

The filler neck tube is now sealed flush with the tub and the hose fits neatly.