Thursday 14 March 2019

Fluid Reservoir and Pipes

I removed the shared brake/clutch fluid reservoir and gave it a lick of paint and a reproduction of the old Girling sticker. I also replaced the 1/4" pipes from the reservoir into the clutch and brake master cylinders.

Not exactly rivet counting, but a slippery slope!
I also made up a new pipe to go between the master clutch cylinder and the flexi that runs into the slave cylinder. That's all copper pipes on the vehicle now newly replaced.

The slave cylinder on the 2A is on the O/S of the bell housing facing straight up. There's a round plastic plate in the transmission cover that you can remove for easy access to the bleed nipple. I don't know why they moved them to the N/S underneath the vehicle for the Series 3s as it seems better placed where mine is.

That said, the bleed nipple was rounded and seized when I went to undo it. After some thinking I've decided I may as well fit a new slave cylinder as all the new pipes are on and empty and I'm about to fill up with new fluid and bleed everything - which means I should also fit a new master cylinder if I'm going to do the job properly.