Saturday 16 December 2017

Stub Axle Carriers

I got half an hour today so I decided while I wait for new bolts, studs, and axle case oil seals to arrive I would clean up the stub axle carriers and fit new lands (distance pieces).

When I stripped the OS hub I found the land was loose that side, so I cracked it off with a cold chisel and ordered two new ones. When I cleaned that side up today and fit the new land, I only needed a bit of WD40 to fit it by hand, and I can still turn it by hand now it's on. The NS was a different story though. The land was much harder to remove, and fitting the new one required heat and a mallet and a few minutes working it down into place. Now it's on, I can't turn it by hand at all.

Which leaves me wondering why one side is "loose" (there is no gap, but I can turn it by hand and could remove it by hand). The stub axle pieces look identical to the eye, but the OS is clearly very slightly narrower (uniformly, all the way down, not just worn or narrower at the lip or at one point..).

Just a slight difference in the precision of the machining back then I suppose. As a spacer it makes no difference that I can turn it by hand.