Friday 13 September 2019

Electrics (2)

Rear Plate Light

The rear plate light is now done and working. I increased the gauge of the wiring as I thought it felt warm before. Instead of soldering the bullet connectors I replaced the inserts the light came with and used the solder-free approach where the wire is trapped between the wire and the insert. Both connectors were snug and tight and I read about this method in a book on period vehicle wiring recently so I'm happy with that.

Indicators (OK, for now)

The intermittent right indicator is definitely the switch. It can be encouraged to work by lifting it a bit further and you know when it is working because the ignition light flashes with the flasher unit as it should. I'll leave this as it is for now as I need to fit a Series 2A indicator stalk at some point anyway.

Panel Lights

I fit the new switch for the panel lights and re-wired them to work as they should when switched and when the side lights are on. I also removed an LED illuminated cigarette lighter while I was there as its wiring was entangled with the changes someone had made to connect the panel lights switch to a rear work light. I had a short in the process but luckily it went as far as the extent of the wiring I was removing so nothing else melted - it actually showed me exactly what I needed to remove. Everything behind the dash now looks original and is very neat and tidy.

Bad Earth

After the short while working on the panel lights I found I had "no electrics". The multimeter showed the dash was not getting earthed. I earthed it directly from the battery negative post with a test lead and that fixed it. Earthing the bulkhead directly also fixed it, so I checked the earth strap at the battery and found it had come loose, probably during the recent short. I cleaned it up and did it up tight and this cured the problem. The battery earth strap to chassis connection is a good first check when you have "no electrics".

Ignition Switched Circuits

Side lights will and should work without the ignition on, for temporary parking on the N/S at night. Indicators and other lighting are ignition switched, as are the wipers. I think everything looks correct now. I removed the radio wiring. I'll re-add something of my own if I decide to add a radio later.

Wipers

Wipers are now working correctly on their new switch and with the fixed earth at the wiper socket.

Everything on the dash now works as it should and I've removed all the non-standard wiring I could find.

Further Work

Still to do is a Series 2A indicator stalk, Series 2A steering wheel (rewire horn to centre push button), and I'd also like to fit a battery cut-out somewhere I can reach from the driver's seat. The short circuit I had went fast and I was lucky the battery leads were only pushed on loose so I could rip one off easily. If they'd been secured I'd have had a full on "dash fire" on my hands, and very likely a re-wire much sooner than intended. Being able to disconnect the battery quickly, even while driving if need be, would be useful.

More "modifications" removed

Panel lights now operate the panel lights.. radical, I know..