Tuesday 27 August 2019

Two steps forward, one step back

I've been busy this summer so far and have only got some small jobs done.

Thermostat

I've fit a new thermostat and gaskets. I painted the housing in DEB so it rather stands out at the moment. Over time it will fade and fit in again, and the water pump and timing cover will be painted the same colour anyway, as will the engine block if I ever take it out. I am hoping the thermostat was why it was running so hot so quickly when I started her the first few times. I'll find out when the front end is back together.

Wiper Switch and New Blades

The new wiper switch worked as expected and the wipers work and auto-park correctly. I've also fit new wiper blades, so the wipers are now done.

Front Crank Seal

I want a fit a new front crank seal and tap threads to make it easier in future, but this time I need to remove the whole timing cover. I've had a couple of attempts at getting the starter dog off but have now arranged to borrow an air-gun and a socket big enough. I'm hoping that does the job or I'll be dropping the sump in search of a way to prevent the crank turning while I work.

Water Pump

I have a rebuild kit for the water pump which has a slight leak. It's an original pump so I'd rather rebuild than replace it with a reproduction part, but I will do that as a backup plan if I have to - I need to find somewhere to help me with a good press, about 20 tonne I'm told.

Solenoid

I fit a new solenoid as the old one was just that, and failed when I was trying to undo the starter dog with some Stilsons and the coil unplugged and turning it over and.. bodgery does not pay! I'll try again with the right tools..

---

I'm going to have more time available over the next month so I'm hoping to finish the front crank seal, water pump, and that last outrigger, and then put her back together for some simple test runs.