Sunday 20 May 2018

Springs, Shocks, Steering, Damper, Oil Filter, Sump(!)

This weekend I managed to get the front springs, shock absorbers, new steering rods, track rod ends, and steering damper fitted. Those dumb irons are really spoiling the view now..


The main steering rod is too long. I ordered as best I could by vehicle and year but the rod itself is longer than the distance the workshop manual specifies to set between balljoint centres. So, she currently has a very large toe-out, but it should not be hard to rectify.

I also fit a new oil filter, and gave the housing a good "clean" while I was there, (as in"Land Rover clean", as in "you should have seen it before I cleaned it..")..



..and stripped the old gasket off the sump and gave that a good clean too.



Next time I get an hour I'll fit the sump back on with a new gasket and some RTV silicone, fill her with new oil.. and start welding!

Oh dear. Wait a minute.. I have to fit our new kitchen first! :O)