Sunday 29 October 2017

Rear Wheel Brake and Hub Service

The rear brake drums were badly scored inside, and the off-side was also badly contaminated with oil. I fit new cylinders, shoes, springs, anchor plate locking tabs and screws to both sides. The brake back plates didn't need much cleaning up, even on the off-side.

I thought the bearings were ok initially, from checking the wheels for play, but when I removed the hubs to replace the oil seals I found the outer bearing cages on both sides were slightly crippled. It was as if they had got stuck and been under pressure but unable to move and had started to fold slightly. Inner bearings, races, and stub axle lands were fine though so I set about fitting new oil seals, outer bearings, drive shaft nuts and washers, drive flange gaskets, felt oil seals, split pins, dust caps, and brake drums. I re-packed all the bearings with Castrol high temperature grease.

Once I'd done all this to both sides at the rear - hey presto, I could move her about by hand!

Not much here worth keeping.
New brake and hub parts in place. (Remnants of light green and red paint on drive flange and bolts - this Land Rover has been through some wardrobe changes!) (Also, compare with same side 'before' photo in 'Rear Brakes Seized' post from September).
Shiny!